Remember the Coast to Coast is a challenging ride in terms of distance and terrain but whether you spend 3 days or a whole week cycling, with some careful planning, each day will be a thrilling experience and a real achievement.
01 April to 21 October
Mountain / Road
Planning your Arrival / Departure
The Coast to Coast cycle routes are not waymarked. However to help you navigate your way across with minimal problems we will supply you with gpx files for the route you are doing so you can load onto your garmin or smartphone device. We can also supply route notes if you wish.
High Quality Accommodation
- We have an unrivalled working knowledge of all the accommodations along the Coast to Coast. We only use those which provide a high quality experience, not just in terms of facilities, décor and food but also their service and understanding of the requirements of long distance cyclists.
- The places we use are a mixture of small country hotels, inns, guest houses & farmhouse B & B) that are located on or close to the route (we do not place our customers a distance away from the route). We also look at the entirety of your trip so you can experience the different styles of high quality places and find no two nights are the same.
Car Parking in Kirkby Stephen
All vehicles are secure in a locked compound with on-site management.
Minibus Passenger Transport
- Kirkby Stephen to St. Bees
- Robin Hood’s Bay to Kirkby Stephen
- Back up passenger transport to the next route location where required
- PSV registered and fully insured vehicles to be driven by our full qualified, safely and courteous drivers.
Door to door baggage transfer
- Regular as clockwork and fully reliable.
- Excess baggage storage and delivery to end point.
Maps & Guide Books
- We include the gpx (for Garmin / smartphone devices) and google earth files of the various route options.
- We can also supply other guide books and maps at cost (with an additional post and packing charge current at time of order). These include the Harvey Maps.
- We will also collect the hire bikes and return them afterwards on your behalf if you hire from these places on route
Travel Advice to St Bees, Kirkby Stephen and from Robin Hood’s Bay
- If you are travelling from overseas you might find travelling by rail directly out to St Bees and back from Robin Hood’s Bay your easiest option. In this case your first night will be at St Bees rather than Kirkby Stephen. Manchester is the nearest international airport and there are rail stations at Whitehaven and St Bees on the west coast.
- If you are travelling by car, your easiest option is to drive up to Kirkby Stephen, centrally situated just off J38 of the M6. Here you can spend your first night before parking your car in our secure pound in the morning and taking the Packhorse Minibus out to St Bees to start your Coast to Coast journey.
- If you live close to Kirkby Stephen and can get to us by 8.00am – you could drive directly to us, leave your car and catch the minibus departing at 8.20am prompt.
- Cycling across the country from the Irish Sea to the North Sea in a few days is a major achievement and one we recommend you savour at the end, rather than rushing off home. Robin Hood’s Bay and the surrounding area is a lovely place to relax in (or keep active if you desire). From having a cold beer or two overlooking the beautiful bay, wandering around the village or sitting on the beach to being a bit more active and walking the coastal path 8 miles to Whitby (and bus back). For a bit more riding (of a more genteel nature) take the Cinder Track – a converted 21 mile old railway line from Whitby to Scarborough through Robin Hood’s Bay – traffic free and never more than a mile from the sea.
- If you want to come straight back to Kirkby when you finish your trip, bear in mind that the Packhorse bus departs at 4pm latest from Robin Hood’s Bay. To catch it therefore we suggest you cycle from no further away than Osmotherley on your last day.
- You will need to decide whether you want another night in Kirkby Stephen before setting off home, or whether you want to jump straight into the car and head off at 6.15pm when the minibus gets back.
- If you are travelling from overseas, Manchester is the nearest international airport and Scarborough (East Coast Mainline) the nearest rail station on the east coast.